A variety of treatments are purportedly available to aid in quitting smoking.
What are effective, scientifically proven ways to quit smoking? In particular, is any treatment significantly better than placebo?
Examples of smoking cessation aids for context and convenience. You don't need to double check all of them if you don't want, feel free to indicate any other you like:
- Nicotine patches/gums/inhalers
- Herbal cigarettes (not cannabis)
- Psychotherapy/Support groups
- Getting yourself sick by smoking too much all at once
- Gradually decreased number
- Anti depressants
Most of the methods are documented on wikipedia, some are claims I've heard from friends or from books and movies.