So, this was originally a part of this question, but from the comments it seems like it might be beneficial to branch it.
I have been told that the microwave left "hot spots" — areas in a fluid which were substantially(?) warmer than the surroundings. It did not seem to me that they would exist in any non-trivial sense. So, my question:
- Are hot-spots real?
- If I were to chug a large amount of freshly microwaved <liquid>, assuming the average temperature is something which would not burn my tongue, would I need to worry about being burned?