The article Czy Twoje ubrania Cię trują? "Wchłaniamy chemię przez skórę. Stąd np. problemy z płodnością" (Do your clothes poison you? "We absorb chemicals through the skin, hence, for example, fertility problems") is in the website of a popular radio channel. It is a synopsis of an interview with Marta Huma from ekonsument.pl.
Claims from this article:
- Cotton is difficult to grow and for this reason "cocktails of chemicals" are used to cultivate it (e.g. 25% of all herbicides used in agriculture are used to grow cotton);
- Processing cotton involves using formaldehyde, chlorine and "thousands of other chemicals";
- As a result, people who wear cotton clothing absorb "tons of chemicals" through skin;
- These substances are mainly endocrine-disrupting and are a cause of fertility problems in wearers;
- As opposed to the above "junk cloth", healthy cloth is produced from cotton grown by organic farming, which will be uncontaminated by pesticides and therefore safer to wear
Is there any evidence that cotton clothing contains residual chemicals which cause fertility problems or other harm to people wearing it?