There is a book called 108 eternal truths which claims many things which have been proved wrong on this site.
It makes the following claims about vedas describing the planetary system.
The Vedas are the most holy books for Hindus.
All three are from Rigveda.
- mitro dādhāra prthavimūtadyām mitraḥ krstiḥ (Rigveda 184.108.40.206)
Sun, with his attracting force is holding this earth and the other celestial bodies
- Trinābhicakramajaramanaryvam yenemā viśvā bhūvanāni tasthūḥ (Rigveda 1.164.1)
All the celestial bodies (Planets) are moving in elliptical orbits.
- Cakrāṇāsaḥ pariṇahaṁ pṛthivyā (Rigveda 10.189.1)
Moon being the sub planet of earth, is revolving around its motherly planet earth and earth is revolving around its fatherly planet sun.
Edit: Found more on Quora
Shape of Earth is like an Oblate Spheroid —(Rig Veda XXX. IV.V).
“The sun has tied Earth and other planets through attraction and moves them around itself as if a trainer moves newly trained horses around itself holding their reins.” — (Rig Veda 10.149.1)
“The Sun does never set nor rise. When people think the Sun is setting it is not so. For after having arrived at the end of the day it makes itself produce two opposite effects, making night to what is below and day to what is on the other side having reached the end of the night, it makes itself produce two opposite effects, making day to what is below and night to what is on the other side. In fact, the Sun never sets” — (Aitareya Brahmana 3.44)
The gravitational effect of solar system makes the earth stable- (Rig Veda 1-103-2, 1-115-4 and 5-81-2).
The axle of the Earth does not get rusted, the Earth continues to revolve on its axle- (Rig Veda 1-164-29).
The Sun never sets or rises and it is the Earth, which rotates- (Sama-Ved 121).
Now here are my questions.
- Did the vedas really state or mention these facts or are these twisted, mistranslated or non-existing quotes? Meaning did Ancient Indians (at least some of them) have an accurate understanding of the i. Planetary system, ii. Day night cycles iii. Gravitation iv. Elliptical orbits v. Spherical planets
- Was India the first country to state or discover these facts?
- Were these discovered by any others from another country before?
The book mentions the source to be the following. This seems to be another book
Source: Ancient Indian Science and its relevance to modern world page 27, (Published by Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Tirupathi)