This article about a new project that builds towers that can turn smog into diamonds makes some pretty incredible claims. It claims that:
- Towers intended to turn carbon in the air into diamonds have been built in China.
- "The towers suck up polluted air, and clean it ... these areas are 70-75% cleaner than the rest of the city." I don't know how they measure cleanliness, but is there any evidence for these numbers and are they realistic?
- The towers are able to produce diamonds using only smog.
- The diamonds produced by these towers are suitable for use in jewelry. A photographic example is included in the article.
It also implies that:
- This is an efficient and innovative method of cleaning the air. Innovative meaning that this has not been done before.
Are these claims true and/or plausible?