This question already has an answer here:
- Are WiFi waves harmful? 4 answers
Over the years, I've heard (and read about) various dubious claims and doubtful allegations regarding the dangers of WiFi & 2.4GHz wireless ISM band communications in general. The stories typically presented themselves with the tell-tale signs of FUD marketing, crackpot conspiracy journalism, pseudo-intellectual pseudo-science etc. And I dismissed it as such.
Today I came across this article on wired.com, regarding the origins of unlicensed wireless communications at 2.4GHz. There was no mention of effects on health or anything like that but here are a few snippets that piqued my curiosity:
Routers could function just as well at 2.3GHz or 2.5GHz, but they’re not allowed. It’s the rules. The 2.4GHz band, which runs from about 2,400 to 2,483.5Mhz, is where routers have to live. For this, they can thank the microwave [oven].
Microwave ovens heat food by blasting it with, literally, microwaves. At certain frequencies, such waves cause something called Dielectric Heating in water and fat, while passing straight through other materials, like plastic or glass, without exciting them much at all.
Only certain materials are susceptible, and only when bombarded with waves of a certain frequency and power. But the one that proved to be both effective and relatively cheap to achieve was 2.45 GHz. That’s the frequency emitted by your microwave [oven], right there in the kitchen.
Despite heavy shielding, microwave ovens’ powerful emissions could sometimes interfere with neighboring frequencies, so it was decided that they should be given a few megahertz of space in both directions. And so the 2,400-to-2,483.5-Mhz ISM band was born.
So basically, all our domestic wireless technology is operating at and around the same frequencies as our microwave ovens. That is to say; the same frequencies known to cause "Dielectric Heating in water and fat." Two substances which, together, account for ~80% of the average human being's total physiology.
I've been using my current WiFi connection for the past few hours and my body fluids aren't boiling yet so Im assuming the microwave oven must be significantly more powerful than my local WiFi radio transceivers. However, we are subject to such an array of ISM band technology in our daily modern lives. So; Does it truly pose any direct health risks to humans and/or other animals? Or; Is it completely safe? Why or why not? Thank you.