How much Homeopathic medicines would be required (or considered) an overdose?
Every Homeopathic site claims the treatments are safe and have no side effects, it it even possible to overdose?
Skeptics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for scientific skepticism. It only takes a minute to sign up.Sign up to join this community
Yes, it is entirely possible to overdose on almost anything.
That all depends on the homeopathic "medicine." True homeopathic "medicines" are so diluted that they have no active ingredients, and so this would be impossible, assuming that there are no harmful inactive ingredients, and not taken in quantities associated with hyperhydration.
That said, there are some substances that are sold that are said to be homeopathic, and do contain active ingredients. Depending on the substance, it would be possible to over-dose on these. For instance, I know that there are some zinc lozenges that are marketed as homeopathic, and you can overdose on that.
Not every medicine marketed as homeopathy actually is.
For example, in Germany there’s an ointment on the basis of calendula, Calendumed. Despite the fact that it’s marketed as one, this is not a homeopathic treatment: it has an active ingredient in it and while its efficacy in healing wounds has not yet been proved1 the active ingredient is there, and it’s measurable. So you could overdose on it (then again, it’s an ointment so you shouldn’t eat it anyway). More specifically, the original tincture uses a potentiation of C1, which is a dilution of 1:100. Not much; enough to have an effect, certainly enough to overdose on.
Furthermore, if we accept that homeopathy exhibits a placebo effect then we must also accept that it exhibits a nocebo effect. If a person believing in its efficacy deliberately overdoses on homeopathic medicine it’s entirely possible that we could observe (severe) adverse effects. In fact, these adverse effects have been observed in various studies, e.g. Weissenfeld & al., 2010.
1 But there is evidence that it helps with radiation burns so it’s reasonable to suspect that it also works for the advertised indications.
You can certainly get poisoned by the solvant (water, alcohol, sugar, etc.), but for the rest... there is no rest!
Homeopathic medicines do not contain any active ingredient - this is universally accepted by both the science community and the homeopaths. Typical dilutions are 1 part in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (1 followed by 60 zeroes).
Homeopathy is supposed to work through some never seen, semi-magical "memory" in the solvent, which somehow gets "potentiated" through extreme dilution and some "succussion" (magical beating) on a bible (no, really).
So, mmm, no. :-)
Find more about it here: List of topics characterized as pseudoscience (Wikipedia).
Most homeopathic remedies are so far diluted that there just is not enough substance left to cause any kind of pharmacological effect. But there are some exceptions, the most well known was probably Zicam, which has been recalled by the FDA because is could destroy the sense of smell due to the contained zinc. One could argue that it is not a "real" homeopathic remedy, but it was marketed as such.
It IS possible to overdose on homeopathic pills! Really!
While there are no active ingredients in a homeopathic pills, there are inactive ingredients. The biggest one is Lactose. For those who don't know, Lactose is a form of sugar derived from milk.
I am one of the many that is Lactose intolerant. If I took enough of these pills then I will get very sick.
If we believe what they say on their web site, then the average person would overdose at about 78 pills. While 78 pills sounds like a lot, this is less than what skeptics take for their homeopathic awareness events, like the 10-23 campaign.